Monday, January 20, 2014

Greatest Inventions Used in the Worst Ways I: Media + Marketing = Abomination to Society


            So this is it, guys. This is the last one; the last media blog. But let’s not fool ourselves: this has been too fun for me to just put down. So even after this final media blog is finished and published, hopefully there will be many more great blogs that get produced by The Smoking Gun in the future.

            I’d like to thank all of my viewers again for all the support. I never would’ve thought three months ago that my writing would become so popular, especially on a worldwide scale!
            To all of my classmates, thank you for the warm encouragement and the feedback. This blog couldn’t have improved without your comments and recommendations. It’s been a pleasure working with all of you guys to try and make sense of this crazy world of neon signs and billboards.
            Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, I’d like to thank Mr. William Maxwell for his outstanding support as a teacher. As a truly intellectual man as well as a hilarious comic, it was an absolute pleasure to study under you. Had it not been for your class and your unique style of teaching, I wouldn’t be where I am today in terms of media literacy.

            I guess this is what it feels like, hmm? This whole idea of online appreciation… It’s such a wild feeling, and believe it or not, I’ve never really experienced it before. I don’t use Facebook or Myspace or Vine or Instagram or Twitter or Kik or Skype or anything else like that. (YouTube, maybe, but it’s up for debate whether or not it’s a form of social media.) Truly, this blog is really my first hands-on experience with the grit of media. And I’ll admit: it’s pretty cool! To be part of this flow of ideas and feel part of this worldwide community makes me ecstatic just to think about it.
            It’s fun for a while. And then the feeling sets in that something might not be right. Usually, this comes with something like #YoloSwag2014. It’s at this moment that you may realize that that comment was completely useless. But what do you and most people do? Not only do you ignore the stupidity of the comment, but you may go on to say something of the like!
            You see, the one thing that I’ve taken out of these past three months is that we’ve got access to this awesome, powerful force called media, but we abuse the living daylights out of it.
            Here’s a fine example: the use of hashtags. You may remember my blog #Hashtags but in case you haven’t read it, let me sum it up for you: Hashtags were originally designed to get people to connect over various specific topics (i.e. An interest in Miss Representation à #MissRepresentation), but instead, it’s used more commonly for complete nonsense – say, #YoloSwag2014. At the rate that media and marketing are expanding, our entire lives will begin to look like a walk through downtown New York, Tokyo, or Shanghai. But then again, in a way, they already have.

            So what do we do to fix this predicament?

            It starts here, with us. I’m talking about all of you media-analyzers, you truth-seekers, you skeptics, and all of my fellow critical thinkers. We’re the people who are going to set the record straight about all of the BS that marketers and social media creates.
But we can’t do it ourselves; we’ve got to pass our literacy onto our peers. Here are some starters:
·        Remember the difference between having a little fun on the internet and it becoming a full-blown obsession.
·        Monitor the time that you spend on the internet or watching television.
·        DO NOT make people like photo-shopped supermodels and idealized idols your role models.
·        Remember who you are. Do not let businessmen and jackasses in the comments section dictate who you should be or who you are. Be yourself.
·        Strive for truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

It won’t solve all of our problems, but it’s a damn good place to start. The sooner we start working towards revising this twisted and idealized world that we live in, the sooner that we can start living our lives again. And I can like that.






No comments:

Post a Comment